Stars and stripes-shaped, American flag-colored, red-white-blue-layered, star-spangled….Get creative with your dessert on American’s most partriotic of days!
Here are a few ideas we’ve collected to inspire you:
American Flag Fruit Cake
Ingredients for 4th of July Flag Cake:
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. almond extract
- 3 cups cake flour, sifted
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 cup milk
You can use a box of white cake mix to save time and hassle, but this recipe is not difficult, and the moistness and slight almond flavor are delicious !
Preparation for Independence Day Flag Cake:
1. Cream butter with the sugar several minutes until light and fluffy.
2. Add the yolks of the eggs, one at a time, beating well with each addition. Add the vanilla and almond extracts. Blend well.
3. Sift the cake flour with the baking powder and salt and add alternately to the creamed mixture with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
4. Beat the egg whites until stiff and fold into the batter.
5. Spread batter into a greased and floured 9 x 13 inch sheet cake pan and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
6. Cool cake on a rack a few minutes and turn out of pan. Allow the cake to cool completely before decorating.
Decorating your US Flag Cake
I used creme de fleurette with the addition of a little sugar and some « fixe-chantilly » (both of which you can find in the any French supermarket) to help it hold its shape. If you happen to have a package of « Dream Whip » from the States, this works well too (or just make a regular vanilla icing). Spread evenly over cake, then add blueberries and sliced strawberries to make the flag as shown. Keep refrigerated until you bring it out to serve, and smile modestly as you enjoy all the ooohs and aaahs !
**This recipe was shared by Janice Brooks.
More Stars & Stripes-inspired desserts!
Star and Flag-shaped sugar cookies with royal icing from TreatGirl
American Flag-Shaped Fresh Fruit Kebab from Shamrock Farms
Red, White, and Blue Layer Cake from Bakedbree.com
Patriotic Cupcakes from Grin and Bake it
Martha Stewart’s Red, White and Blue Parfaits
Layered Jell-O treats for Independence Day