Ingredients for basic pie crust:
- 260 g all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 110 g unsalted butter
1.Put the flour, salt and butter in an electric mixer with a paddle attachment and beat on low speed until you get a sandy consistency. Add 1 tablespoon water and beat until well mixed. Add a second tablespoon of water and beat until you have a smooth, even dough. Sometimes 2 tablespoons of water are not enough, so carefully add water until you get the right consistency. Don’t add too much water and first try to beat the dough at high speed to combine all the ingredients.
2. Wrap the dough in clingfilm and leave to rest for 1 hour.
Ingredients for pecan pie filling:
- 1 pie crust, unbaked or 1 Ready Crust graham cracker pie crust
- 200 g castor sugar
- 250 ml Karo dark corn syrup
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 60 g unsalted butter, cubed
- ¼ teaspoon McCormick’s vanilla extract
- 100 g unsalted pecan nuts, chopped, plus extra pecan halves, to decorate
- a 23-cm pie dish, greased
One pie makes 10 – 12 slices.
Pumpkin Pie Preparation:
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C / 338° F / Gas 3.
2. Lightly dust a clean work surface with flour and roll out the dough (or use your ready crust !). Line the prepared pie dish with the dough, trim the edges with a knife and use a fork to flatten and decorate the edges.
3. Put the sugar, corn syrup and salt in a large saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, remove from heat and leave to cool down for a few minutes.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs. Slowly pour the warm (not hot) syrup into the eggs. Stir the eggs briskly while pouring the syrup. If not, the eggs will scramble.
5. Add the butter and vanilla extract to the bowl and stir until the butter has melted.
6. Put the chopped pecan nuts into the pie crust. Pour the filling on top. Decorate with pecan halves, arranging them around the edge of the pie.
7. Bake in preheated oven for about 50 – 60 minutes or until dark caramel color with a slightly bubbly/crusty surface.
How did your pecan pie turn out ? Tell us in the comments, or share with us your version of this very american classic !