One idea for all of these strawberries flooding the market right now is strawberry shortcake. Real and sooooooo very good, it’s the perfect taste of spring/summer back home (for me). For a real treat, either for the family, friends or just to showcase classic American desserts in it’s simplistic finest, this is a must bake recipe. If you have fresh pineapple, blueberries, blackberries, cherries, raspberries (you get the idea), you can substitute for strawberries if you wish.
Ingredients for a Strawberry Shortcake:
- 2 16oz (500 g) containers of fresh strawberries, quartered
- 3/4 cup (150 g) sugar, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- 1 cup (250 g) whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons (36 g) sugar
- 2 3/4 (410 g) cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons (16 g) baking powder
- 3/4 cup (220 g) cold butter, cut up
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 8-oz (250 ml) container sour cream (crème fraîche)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Strawberry Shortcake preparation:
- Combine strawberries, 1/2 cup (100 g) sugar, and, if desired, almond extract. Cover berry mixture, and let stand 2 hours.
- Beat whipping cream at medium speed with an electric mixer until foamy; gradually add 2 Tbsp. (36 g) sugar, beating until soft peaks form. Cover and chill up to 2 hours.
- Combine flour, remaining 1/4 cup (50 g) sugar, and baking powder in a large bowl; cut butter into flour mixture with a pastry blender or two forks until crumbly.
- Whisk together eggs, sour cream, and vanilla until blended; add to flour mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Drop dough by lightly greased 1/3 cupfuls onto a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 350° (175* C) for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden.
- Split shortcakes in half horizontally. Spoon about 1/2 cup berry mixture onto each shortcake bottom; top each with a rounded Tbsp. chilled whipped cream, and cover with tops. Serve with remaining whipped cream.
If you try this recipe, be sure to tell us in the comments how it turned out !
And while you and your children are on a cooking mood, you can also try these classical whoopie pies, or organise a make-your-own-ice-cream buffet. You are also welcomed to share your favorite recipe in the comments, or on this blog, by becoming a contributor.